Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Powder


Last week we ventured out on a hike and Powder tagged along. We started out hiking to Ensign Peak and then continued up along the Bonneville Shoreline trail to the radar stations above the peak. We were scouting out a new trail for our planned Bountiful Fireworks hike. Powder was loving the hike until we got past the first radar station...then she started to slow down. We turned back to come back home and she started to limp pretty bad. I was afraid she was developing arthritis in her rear legs like our dog Wolfie did.



Seth and I took turns carrying her down the mountain.  At one point we put her down to see if she would walk and as we started to walk away she looked at us like "you are seriously going to leave me here."  She absolutely refused to be carried like a lamb.  After a long journey home we realized that Powder did not have arthritis in her rear legs...she had blistered and burned her front paws.  For the next two days she couldn't even walk out to the yard or to the garage door to get a treat.  We wrapped her paws up and she was all better by Friday...It took almost that long for our arms to recover from carrying her down the mountain.
  


The story doesn't quite end there...early Tuesday morning I woke up to the noise of Powder in the room above me.  If you know Powder you know that she rarely makes a noise...I convinced Seth to come upstairs to check on her with me.  Powder seemed to be fine so I moved her into my parents room and went back to bed.  About an hour later I found out everything wasn't fine...Powder was having seizures about 15-30 minutes apart.  She has never had a seizure before.  We loaded her up in the car and I held her as she had another seizure on the way to the Pet Hospital.  She stayed the night and was put on some anti-seizure medicine.  When we picked her up the next evening she was relieved to see us.  She was a little drugged up and her back legs weren't quite working.  She has been whining almost non-stop since then.  She seems to know something is wrong but doesn't know what to do about it.  Fortunately her back legs are working again today.  We wish her a speedy recovery.

4 comments:

cpace said...

Poor Powder

Rachelle said...

Poor thing! Hope she gets better soon!

Amy said...

Poor Powder. She's all cute and shaved!

Sarah Preston said...

I hope she gets better fast! I'm glad that you woke up when you heard her making noise upstairs. I hope to see her soon!