Monday, September 10, 2012

Golden Spike & The Spiral Jetty

The weekend before I headed back to work we headed up North for our final adventure of the summer.  We visited Golden Spike and the Spiral Jetty.  We arrived at Golden Spike just in time to see the first train pull in and stuck around for the arrival of the second train and the reenactment ceremony.  Neither of us had ever been before and found the outing quite enjoyable.  


After leaving Golden Spike we drove west and a little south to the Great Salt Lake.  We visited The Spiral Jetty.  After a picnic lunch overlooking the jetty we headed down to explore.  The rocks of the jetty looked like glazed doughnuts to me...the salt from the lake looked like glaze.  If the water was fairly high so we weren't able to walk to the very middle of the jetty, but we did enjoy what we saw.

The artist of the Spiral Jetty was married to the artist of the Sun Tunnels which we visited last June.  I wish we could have stuck around to see the jetty at sunset.  If you haven't gone...I would highly recommend you plan a trip.

2 comments:

ROXY MARJ said...

I'm gonna do this! I have never been to either one and Jesse and I are always looking for things to go explore here in Utah! Thanks for sharing. :) xoxo

Jamie Hatch said...

I've never been for the reenactment! Looks like fun!