Monday, June 8, 2020

MAY


One afternoon in May I googled a free toddler dance class and found one on YouTube.  Millie was delighted to get her wiggles out.  She even managed to make a few costume changes.


Kim shared a recipe for color foam bubbles for our water table.  The kids loved mixing the colors.







One Saturday we took Phin and Millie's bikes around City Creek Canyon and then down to Memory Grove.  We found a shady spot to set up our hammocks and had a picnic.  There were tons of people using the park so we got some people watching in...which we really missed during the lock-down.


I got my Mother's Day gift a week early....a new hammock and hammock stand.  Now when Seth and I are both chilling on the back patio we both have a spot to be comfortable.


Tele-therapy continued into May.  I found that Silas did best when he was on the couch next to my desk watching a show.


When we altered from that routine, things like this happened...


We also took our social distancing up to Papa and Nona's.  The kids played on their basketball court while my parents watched.  It was so nice to have a change of scenery.


These next two pictures crack me up...sometimes Millie is a little too attentive to Silas.



Other times it is just the perfect amount of attention...in this case for a tea party.


I love when Silas finds that he has pockets.


We also braved downtown to get my oil changed.  We walked around the ballpark while they worked on my car.



We have been making lots of bread at home.  The kids are more than willing to help out.


We got take out from a local BBQ spot one night and headed up to the temple for a picnic.  Then we walked around the temple.



Phin officially completed his second year of Let's Play Music.  His teacher is planning to put together a digital recital.  So I had him get all dressed up to record his musical numbers. We also recorded a video of him doing the Pirate ship song



The Young Women that I work with at church decided to have a chalk art festival as a virtual activity.  The kids were excited to have me out doing the chalk art with them.  Millie wanted a unicorn.


Seth did a Spiderman...and had a little inspiration.



Phin also did a Ninjago character.


I received a little Thank You in the mail from my district..it was a really sweet gesture.  On another day I received a Swig sugar cookie hand delivered.


 We headed down to Nona and Papa's cabin for Jeff's birthday.  It was so fun to be with family.



We also got to meet baby Conrad. This little guy has the most gorgeous dark hair.  He is also so incredibly smiley. 






The kids loved racing some monster trucks down the long driveway.




We also walked down to the river and crossed over the bridge that Jeff built.


We played Pillow Fight out on the deck.


We also watched Jeff take a blowtorch on the bears.  Nona had spent hours upon hours sanding these down to re-finish them.




I completed my last two days of Tele-therapy down at the cabin.  I will be honest.  I would not have made it through this crazy shut down without Morgan, the amazing graduate student from the U of U that completed her hours with me.  We were both in every Zoom session but she quickly took over and I was able to work on paperwork while I observed.  On my last day Silas decided to curl up in the chair next to me and watch "Woody."



Papa was excited to take us in a ride on the side-by-side.  The kids were not sure about the whole thing when we got started...but quickly warmed up to the idea.



We hiked up above the cabin and enjoyed some great views.





We also got to see some petroglyphs.




We stopped at a pond and had lunch while the kids played in the cold water.







Silas was delighted to throw rocks into the pond.


We also stopped at the waterfalls which are just off the first turn off to the cabin.





Spencer and Millie with their backpacks. 


I got a picture of Phin on his "last" day of school.  He finished his remote learning down at the cabin too.


We spent one day at the reservoir.  The kids loved playing in the sand and water.

 




Phin LOVED the paddelboard and was quick to pick up the new skill.




We got a phone call from Seth while we were at the reservoir.  He stayed at home so that he wouldn't have to take anytime off of work.  He woke up on Saturday morning and decided to go on a hike.  He heard a pop when he stood up after resting at his destination...and had thrown out his back.  He managed to make it home but was in rough shape.  When he first called it sounded like he had been in an accident and he could barely put a sentence together.  It was the most terrifying call I have ever received.  I called my brother Scott in the meantime and he came over to the house to check on Seth.  We quickly packed up at the reservoir and headed back to the cabin to pack up.  Bart and Jeff who were down at the cabin took great care of me and packed my car while I ran around collecting our belongings. Jeff managed to take these cute pictures of Silas while I was busy gathering things.


Bart insisted on driving us home and I will be forever grateful that he did.  Instead of being stuck in my own thoughts for the long drive...I had someone to keep my mind off of things.  Seth was in rough shape for several days but is feeling much better.


The last two weeks of the school year, I spent filing all of my documentation from the soft school closure and completing some continuing education.  I went over to the school one day for a closing luncheon.  The principal was kind enough to have a box of my favorite cookies as a Thank you.


We also returned Phin's iPad and got one last picture with his teacher Mrs. Taylor.  I am so incredibly grateful for this amazing women that helped Phin become a more confident reader.  


Nona was kind enough to watch my kiddos while I took a turn at the school on technology return day.  She sent me a picture of Millie and Silas watching a show together.


Sarah's family came in to town over Memorial Day.  We headed up and the kids played before a family dinner.  The decided to climb the old cherry tree.


Bart and Collete hosted us all for a birthday dinner for Bart.  It was so fun to be surrounded by family.  We are keeping our isolation bubble pretty small...but these people are definitely included in that bubble. 


Millie insisted on "working-out" with me one morning.


On Memorial Day we went for a walk with Sarah's family around City Creek Canyon and then down into Memory Grove.


Harvey managed to find a snail along the way.


Then we picked up food from a taco truck and headed over to Liberty Park for lunch.



The last few days of May were pretty chill...time on the swing.


running through sprinklers on our nightly walk...


picking up Phin's Let's Play Music certificate...


playing with buttons at Nona's



We also had our first outdoor movie night.  With decided to spend our stimulus check on SUMMER FUN.  Our first purchase was a projector and screen.  



We watched Scoob for our first movie.  Seth and I hung out in our hammocks and the kids were in camping chairs.


The warmer weather has been perfect for hanging poolside.


The warmer weather also meant Millie was in need of shorts.  Nona was kind enough to hem several pairs of Millie's pants that had holes in the knees.


The last Sunday in May we had family dinner at Nona and Papa's.  We took the opportunity to play a few games with cousins for Phin's birthday.












James and Phin were born just a few days apart and it was so fun to get a picture of them both with their cakes.  Our quarantine tradition is to have an ice cream cake and Phin chose to have the same cake that Silas had...Cookies and Cream.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

I'm so grateful for the blog posts that take me outside of the four walls of our house! And super envious that you live close to family. My folks got together with York and Greg this weekend, and I about cried, wishing I could be there too. Tina comes into Houston later this week, and I really want to be there!! Our bubble is too small! But even with the 6 of us, we're larger than the governor allows. (We still have 5-person restrictions.) Sigh... This can't last forever. This can't last forever. This can't last...

Beth said...

Loved reading your post. I have to get the bubble color recipe, looked fun.