Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cougar or Ute?

Some of you may be wondering where my loyalty lies. I have to admit that over the years it has flip flopped a few times. I am in a unique situation having graduated from both BYU and the University of Utah.

My first year at BYU was LaVell Edwards' last. I found a highlight of that season on Wikipedia

That season, the Cougars struggled and found themselves with a 4-6 record with just two games left. Prior to Edwards' final home game, against New Mexico, LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley announced that Cougar Stadium would be renamed "LaVell Edwards Stadium."[1] Before the game started, President Hinckley addressed the BYU players in the locker room and admonished them, "Don't muff it." The Cougars went on to dominate the Lobos 37-13. The season finale against the Utes was much more intense as the Cougars were trailing late in the 4th quarter, still deep in their own territory. On a fourth and thirteen, quarterback Brandon Doman found Jonathan Pittman on a Hail Mary pass. On the next play, Doman completed another pass to Pittman to put them in scoring position. Doman completed the comeback by running for the clinching score, winning the game 34-27, and Coach Edwards was triumphantly carried off the field.

I was at the game described above with my cousin Stephanie. We had all sports passes my first two years at BYU and we attended every football game. LaVell left after my first year and the first few years of Coach Crowton were okay. By the time I graduated the football program was a disaster.

I started graduate school at the University of Utah and the football team was amazing. We played Texas A&M in the season opener. Urban Meyer led Alex Smith and the rest of the team to an undefeated season and we busted into the BCS to play at the Fiesta bowl.

So who will I be cheering for tomorrow?

I like to think of myself as CUTE (Cougar + UTE) but I have to admit that I have cheered for Utah since 2004 and will continue to cheer for them. I am wearing red today, and I will be tomorrow. What can I say, I look good in red. GO UTES!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have degrees from both schools and despite being raised in a blue household, spending more years at the Y than the U (or maybe because of those things) and enduring mediocre football (but amazing basketball!) in my undergraduate years, I am a Ute through and through. No divided loyalties whatsoever. I wore red on every Ute/BYU matchup in the three years I was at BYU and LOVED that I was back living in Utah during the Urban Myers years. I really wish I could be there to witness in person a second undefeated season on Saturday. GO UTES!

Sarah Preston said...

sometimes my heart hurts when I hear that you cheer for the U