Thursday, January 22, 2009

SEE SUZ RUN


Let me just preface this blog by saying that prior to this last weekend I would not have considered myself to be a "runner." I finished my first half marathon, the PF Chang's Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Phoenix Arizona this past weekend. My official time was 2:04:15. I can now say, I AM A RUNNER.

The road to my first half marathon has been long. Back in August I could barely run a mile. Whenever I did run, I had pain on the lateral side of my knees. After visiting a sports medicine doctor and a physical therapist I was able to strengthen the muscles around my knees and gradually increased my running distance. Just when I thought I was getting to a comfortable running routine a new injury would emerge. But I kept on going.

My brother Jeff has run in three half marathons, two previous PF Chang's and the Salt Lake last April. He lives down in Phoenix. In November I decided to sign up for the PF Chang with him and take a trip to sunny Arizona. I had the best time running with Jeff. He has not run since the Salt Lake Half Marathon last April, and I was afraid that he would beat me. The first 3 miles were tough, but Jeff really motivated me. We stuck together for the first 9 miles of the race and Jeff ended up finishing about 10 minutes after me.

Running is physical but mostly psychological. When I am running I have to consistently remind myself that I can keep going when by body screams to stop. The sense of accomplishment I felt when I crossed the finish line is impossible to express. I realized that I need to push myself to set goals in other areas of my life just as I set the goal to run a half marathon. I can't wait to see what the rest of 2009 brings. My next half marathon is in March in Moab. My sister is apparently quite motivated by my time and is hoping to beat me. Bring it on Sis, bring it on!

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

Great job, Suz - I'm so proud of you!

Sarah Preston said...

I'm proud of you too! But it doesn't change the fact that I am highly motivated to beat you!

Mary said...

You two are brave girls. I think the 5K is a lot of running.

Heidi said...

Yahoo! Good work.