
Remember my fear of exploring the woods? I knew my fears were well founded before...now Seth knows that they were well founded as well. Seth was working on a site analysis in Greenville a couple of weeks ago. I rode up with him and ran to get all of our errands done in the big city (change oil, Costco, Target). When I came back to pick Seth up I found covered with scratches all over his arms and legs. He had walked into a little section of woods to get a better idea of the area. He said the moment he walked in he knew it was mistake. He became entrapped by a little "a rose bush like vine." Just the scratches were enough to deter him from venturing off into the woods on his own again. Well the scratches looked very minor a few days later when his bum area became very itchy.
Last Sunday we were talking to a friend and the topic of the woods happened to come up. Our friend proceeded to warn us about all the little creatures that can be found in the woods. First we talked about ticks and then chiggers. He said that chiggers burrow into your skin and then that area becomes very itchy. Seth and I looked at each other and our eyes widened. As soon as we got home we did a little more research on chiggers. I was afraid that they were contagious, Seth was afraid that they burrow. We found out that both of our fears were false. We did find out that chiggers inject their saliva which breaks down the skin...makes it itchy. They are usually brushed off of their host within a couple hours. In short the chigger was long gone...the itching was not. It took a couple of days and some anti-itching creme but the itching is now gone too.
I would like to say we have learned our lesson and are not going to be venturing off into the woods anytime soon...but Fall is here and we are going to be heading into the woods on a little backpacking trip to see the Fall colors...hopefully we find Fall leaves and not Fall chiggers.
5 comments:
Ugh, those things look so creepy! I would never go into the woods again.
We had chiggers in Texas too. I always brought clear nail polish to girls' camp because we really did think they burrowed. The thought was, that if you paint nail polish over the opening, the chiggers get no air and die. It was a good reminder not to scratch too. . . I had no idea they don't really burrow until I read your post!
I am so glad that neither of you had a chigger, and that you quickly updated your blog because I don't think I could look at the picture of the chigger again!
While in Missouri we quickly learned why no one ever sat or walked on their grass. Yes, those lovely little critters called Chiggers.
I did the same thing as Rachelle and used nail polish over the Chigger bites. It seemed to help. But I thought they were only in Missouri and other middle states, not SC! Sorry you have to deal with those, yuck.
Post a Comment