Saturday, April 5, 2014

TRADITION

Seth's birthday was at the end of February.  His siblings surprised him by taking him out for lunch.  We went out on a date later that evening.  We had dinner at Five Guys and then went to Viewmont High School to see their rendition of Fiddler on the Roof...Tevye was AMAZING!  We enjoyed everything about the night...except that the auditorium was freezing.


I wanted to make a special St. Patrick's Day feast.  I was hoping to run to the store early in the morning so we could have Lucky Charms for breakfast...but I didn't roll out of bed early enough for that one.  So when Seth got home from work we enjoyed corned beef and cabbage, lime jello, biscuits, glazed carrots, roasted potatoes and lime jarritos.  For dessert we had mint cookies and cream ice cream.  


Here is a picture of our family all dressed in green on St. Patrick's Day.


Speaking of traditions...we have been house shopping in the hopes of finding a place where we can continue traditions and make new traditions.  We started looking at homes at the beginning of the month.  The first home we saw had great curb appeal...it was a red brick bungalow on a corner lot that was built in 1921.  The outside was gorgeous...but the floor plan was not something we could look past.  There was no place for a dining/kitchen table and Seth had to duck his head to walk in the basement.

We mentioned to our current landlord that we were looking and they happened to have a place that they were selling.  We looked at it our first Saturday of shopping and really liked it...but since it was just the second house we had looked at we weren't quite ready to commit  We asked them let us know if they got any offers as we continued to shop...well just two days later they called and let us they had an offer.  We decided to go and look at it again and after a night of thinking it over... we decided to take the plunge.  We put in a verbal offer early the next morning and a written offer later that night.  When we put in our verbal offer our landlords countered so we included those conditions in the written offer.  They made us feel pretty confident that we would get the place.  I started to picture our lives in the new home...Phin playing in the backyard, cooking in the kitchen, growing a garden, family gatherings, etc.

I was literally shattered the next day when we heard that the people that had the original offer had countered once our offer was on the table and that our landlords had accepted that offer.  They were happy with the offer and didn't want us to get in a bidding war.  I literally walked around like a zombie for the next few days. ..a cookie eating zombie.  This process is going to be tough for me...in order to make an offer I will have to be in love with a place...then if we don't get it I will be mourning the life we could have had there.

Every time I have driven by the place over the last month I have looked eagerly to see if the sign was still up...not so secretly hoping that the offer would fall through.  Well the sign came down this week.  I had Seth look up the MLS and we just lost the home by a couple thousand dollars...another hard blow.  I told Seth that I feel like this house is the one that got away.  When I met Seth I knew he was the right one...because I had dated so many guys that weren't the right one...this was just the second house that we saw so we didn't know just how much we loved it.  Wish us luck as we continue the search for a home where we can continue our traditions.

3 comments:

Amy said...

The sign came down finally? :( I hope you'll find an even better one - and right by me!

Rachelle said...

Awww, heartbreaking! I'm so sorry, Suz!

Jamie Hatch said...

I love looking at houses, I check the msl all the time just because I can. But actually deciding and buying a house is painful and very very stressful! I wish you every luck. Just as way of warning, I hated both of our homes the first walk through. I pray God allows you to find a beautiful home full of charm, curb appeal, with a great layout in a fantastic neighborhood and will be insanely jealous when he does, because for some reason when I pray for the same he blesses me with an ugly fixer-upper. Now that I think of it, I'd better keep my prayers to myself, pretty sure you don't want the mess I've got.