Thursday, August 5, 2010

Nebraska

On July 24th we continued our journey to Lincoln, Nebraska. Once we arrived we asked the hotel receptionist for a dinner recommendation. She recommended Buzzard Billy’s downtown. It sounded unique so we ventured to the historic downtown haymarket.

We ordered gator fingers as an appetizer. They apparently have a local gator farm that they order from. In case you are wondering how gator fingers taste they are very chewy. Not quite as chewy as calamari but close.

I ordered the seafood eggplant pirogue which was a deep fried eggplant filled with shrimp, crayfish, etc.
Seth ordered the French quarter tuna.

We walked around a little downtown and I heard a unfamiliar noise. It almost sounded like an electric instrument. Since then I have learned that the noise was actually the cicada bug. If you think crickets are loud…you have never heard a cicada. Here is a little tidbit from Wikipedia
"A cicada (pronounced /sɪˈkɑːdə/ or pronounced /sɪˈkeɪdə/) is an insect of the order Hemiptera, suborder Auchenorrhyncha, in the superfamily Cicadoidea, with large eyes wide apart on the head and usually transparent, well-veined wings. There are about 2,500 species of cicada around the world, and many remain unclassified. Cicadas live in temperate to tropical climates where they are among the most widely recognized of all insects, mainly due to their large size and remarkable acoustic talents."
I have to agree they have remarkable acoustic talent. After a while you get used to the sound.


We also noticed that all of the turn signals in Nebraska are turned to the side. We still have no idea why. We were lucky enough to catch the sunset as we drove back to our hotel. The clouds were beautiful.

The next morning we stopped at a local church. Someone asked me what my name was and I promptly said “My name is Suzanne Richards and this is my husband Seth.” They replied “Oh the Richards, welcome to our ward.” It was then that I realized I had told them my maiden name and had to correct them. It is going to take me quite a while to get used to the change. I think it will be easier to make the change in writing and harder to make it when introducing myself. I'm still trying to figure out when to change my name. I'm not sure if I want to make the change out here in South Carolina or wait for a return trip to Utah. Until I decide I think people will be very confused.





1 comment:

nateandalliewilcox said...

What an adventurous way to start out your married life together! Looks like a blast.