Seth and I woke up early Saturday morning and caught a flight to Phoenix. By early afternoon we had arrived and were picked up by Jeff and my parents. We drove downtown to pick up our race packets for the PF Chang's Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon. This was my third year running it. After picking up the packets we drove out to Joe's Farm Grill for some grub. Seth and I shared a Fontina burger and a Southwest burger. We also got to share sweet potato fries, onion rings, and fried zucchini with the family.
We caught our first Arizona sunset after a walk around Jeff's neighborhood. The weather was in the 70s and absolutely perfect.
The next morning was race day. As we drove downtown to be dropped up for the race we were greeted by this sunrise. The sun was reflecting off many of the downtown buildings and looked spectacular.
Here is our classic before the race shot. I have to admit that I always have butterflies in my stomach before the race, and this year was no different. We were dropped off early enough to see the start of the marathon and wheelchair marathon.
After scavenging for a banana we found our corral and stretched out for the race. I told Jeff that this was his year to greet me at the finish line. I hadn't been following my training schedule mid-December, due to illness, snow storms, and new shoe blisters. Jeff and I stuck together for the first 2.5 miles and then he lost me. Seth and my parents found a bridge about 12.5 miles in to wait for us. Jeff is in the gray shirt and black hat.
Jeff's official time was 2:03:41
| 5 Km | 26:44 |
| 10 Km | 52:55 |
| 8 5 Mi | 1:13:30 |
| 10 Mi | 1:29:57 |
Here I am in the black with the white hat. I was so elated to see Seth on the bridge.
My official time was 2:13:13
5K 28:15
| 10 Km | 59:33 |
| 8 5 Mi | 1:22:29 |
| 10 Mi | 1:39:29 |
Way to go Jeff! It was nice to have you waiting for me. Next year you may not be so lucky:)
Here is the post-race shot. We were both walking a little funny for several days.
The next day we were crazy enough to hike Camelback Mountain. I took it quite slow...Jeff was a mountain goat like always, and Seth was sweet enough to stay close by the entire time.
We had a fabulous time in Phoenix. It was so nice to escape the snow and enjoy a few days in the sun. The food was great and the company was even better.


3 comments:
Are you crazy? A half-marathon and then hiking the next day??? Good for you, Suz! And I love that you have a smile the whole time. Miss you!
I am super impressed! Great job!
congrats on the RACE! thats awesome.
Post a Comment