Saturday, January 8, 2011

"Home" for the Holidays

We were lucky enough to go back to Utah over the Holidays.  We arrived on December 18th just in time to greet our newest nephew.  We were lucky enough to spend the next few days with his two older brothers while his parents were at the hospital.  I attended Primary with them and tried to convince them to take part in the Nativity...I finally convinced Max to be a sheep in exchange for a cup of hot chocolate but Benny could not be persuaded.

But this trip was not all pleasure...we also had some business to complete.  I didn't have time after we got married to change my name so it was top on my list when we returned home.  Our first stop was at the Social Security Office.  We got there just 10 minutes after they opened and waited for what seemed like an eternity.  I was amazed by the lack of open windows and employees chit chatting it up with each patron.  Seriously...can you not see the 60 other people waiting.  We almost had to leave for another appointment before making it through the line but stuck it out.   The next day we visited the DMV and were there 15 minutes before it opened.  I wasn't aware of the new regulations of showing your social security card...and since they took it from me the day before I didn't have it.  So we had to drive back to my parents to get an old W2 form and drive back and to get back in line.  I wish the DMV would have been our last stop but we still had a few more...what a pain.  At least I had Seth to keep me company all along the way.

We had lots of time to spend to family.  We went out to dinner at Stoneground with Scott and Emily and followed it up with a game of Carcassonne.  We also went to a few movies with my Dad.  Our favorite by far was True Grit.  We also saw Tangled with Emily and Jane. 

Christmas Eve we participated in Richards family traditions.  We went to the Capitol Hill Sing Along.  Then we enjoyed homemade pizza and a Christmas movie.  Christmas morning we opened presents at my parents and packed up for a trip to Hyde Park.

1 comment:

Cloe said...

We've been married 7 years and I still haven't done the social security name change. I'm just not ready for that kind of committment. :)