Monday, February 7, 2011

Reason #5

Seth is pretty handy...and he proved it once again.  It all started with the snow storm last month.  The snow storm kept us out of school for almost a week and kept us in our apartment for almost as long.  When we got around to cleaning the snow off our car we noticed that the driver's side windshield wiper was acting a little funny.  Well in the excitement of school being canceled, our trip to the BMW factory, and our weekend in Phoenix we forgot all about the windshield wiper. 

Flash forward to the night we arrive home from our Phoenix trip.  It is after midnight...our plane touches down...we take the shuttle out to long term parking...we scurry to our car in the drizzling rain...we turn on the windshield wiper...nothing happens.  We assess our situation...it is after midnight on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, we are over two hours from our apartment, no car repair shops are open.  We did the only thing we could...we prayed.   We made it home safely.  

The next day when we got up it was still raining.  We had just 3-4 hours of sleep and had to get to school and work.  Well, we made it to our destinations and the rain continued.  We made it home that night,  with stops along the way to manually move the windshield wiper.  When I called the dealership they indicated that if the windshield wiper had frozen to the windshield in the storm that the part would cost $300-400.  I got a little frazzled because $300-400 is no small chunk of change.  Of course this happens less than a month after the warranty on our car expired.  The dealer also suggested that we attempt to tighten the windshield wiper bolt.  I told Seth and the next day he headed out with his tool box and fixed the windshield wiper.  I do realize that I probably could have tightened the bolt myself but with that said it sure is nice to have someone around to do it for me.

P.S. We are planning a little get-away to Atlanta.  This place has held a special place in my heart ever since the 1996 Olympics.  I watched every moment of the Gymnastic competition and loved seeing the U.S. team win the gold.  There is so much to see and do in Atlanta...this may just be the first of many trips. 

   

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Sheesh - $300-400??? So glad it was just a quick fix instead!!!

Emily said...

I about died when I read $300-400!!! WOW! So glad that you guys were able to get it fixed!