Saturday, October 23, 2010
Cooking with Apples
We have been trying to use up all of the apples that we have cooked. I made an apple pie last Sunday using the Barefoot Contessa's recipe. I didn't have a few ingredients but it still turned out well.
While making the apple pie I cut up too many apples...really I cut the number they suggested but they were quite big, so I made apple oatmeal crisp also.
This morning Seth got his first taste of apple pancakes. My mom used to make these occasionally on Sundays after church. It is definitely my favorite breakfast recipe. You mix up the pancakes like normal and add a grated apple and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter. My favorite part is the apple syrup. In a medium sized pot combine 1 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch, 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, and 2 cups of Apple juice. Stir and cook until thickened. Add 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice and 1/4 cup butter. Serve warm over the apple pancakes. Yum.
I also made apple oatmeal cookies. They didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. I used butter flavored Crisco and should have used real butter.
On that note our apples are nearly gone. Can't wait until next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh man - you've started a bad thing, Suz! Now I'm going to crave apple pancakes with apple syrup until I get my act together enough to make them!
BTW, what's that on the plate with the pancakes???
That is a slice of ham that we put right on the griddle and our attempt at hash browns:)
Post a Comment