Sunday, October 24, 2010

Lessons in Frying: Taco Salad

This week we fried up tortillas for Taco Salads. We used uncooked tortillas and shaped them into bowls. In our first attempt the tortilla went flat. In the second attempt the tortilla held the shape much better but still wasn't up to par. Our third attempt was the charm. I pulled our metal doughnut cutter out of the drawer and wrapped the tortilla around it in the shape of the bowl. Then I lowered the tortilla (still wrapped around the dough cutter) into the fryer...here is the result.

Seth created the mixture of greens. He mixed spinach, green onions, onion, mushroom, avocado, cilantro, basil, green peppers, and hot peppers. We also had a mixture of chicken, black beans, and re-fried beans that we used as the base for our salad. A little dallop of sour cream and some salsa and our creation was complete.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

That is one pretty salad!!! I've also heard of using a metal ladle to push the tortilla down into the oil. . .